Vendor Market at The Mill on 66 in Lincoln IL

The historic Mill in Lincoln, IL, located at 738 S. Washington, will be welcoming a variety of vendors taking part in monthly weekend flea markets during the tourist season, beginning on the second Saturday of April and running through October, from 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM. Spaces are still available for $10 to $15 dollars for the day and throughout the season.

MillLogo-1.jpg

“We’ll run a Vendor Market with a variety of flea market items, crafts, specialty products and antiques on a monthly basis from April-Oct,” said Route 66 Heritage Foundation of Logan County treasurer Andrea Dykman. The Mill will also be a passport stop on Sunday, June 14th for the Route 66 Association Motor Tour, and will have their annual car cruise-in this fall (date TBD).

The Mill in Lincoln opened in 1929 on old Route 66 under the name of the Blue Mill, on Stringer Avenue. The proprietor was Paul Coddington, who would serve patrons grilled sandwiches at any hour of the day or night. A Dutch themed building with blue trim, it featured at revolving windmill and waitresses dressed in blue with white aprons. In 1945, Albert and Blossom Huffman purchased the building, added a barroom and dance hall, and then painted the building barn red. Over the years, the restaurant became famous for the fried schnitzel, originally made of veal, and later of pork. By the mid 1980’s the Mill had lost most of the Dutch themed interior, and was becoming a museum of rather strange objects, including a mechanical leg protruding from a hole in the ceiling. The Mill closed as a restaurant in 1996.

Efforts began to restore the building in 2006, and have included a who’s who of volunteers from all over Lincoln and Logan County as well as the state, through the Route 66 Association of Illinois and the Route 66 Preservation Committee headed by John Weiss. The Mill has received local donations from Lincoln Philanthropist Larry Van Bibber, The Danner Trust Fund, Eaton Corporation, Lincoln Rotary, Railsplitter Antique Auto Club, several anonymous donations and many other contributions. Grants and additional assistance and support have been received by The National Park Service, Abraham Lincoln Tourism Bureau of Logan County, Route 66 Association of Illinois and the Illinois Route 66 Scenic Byway. The facility also is on the restoration list at Landmarks Illinois and was inducted into the Route 66 Association of Illinois Hall of Fame. It is a 501-C3 tax deductible organization.

The group is also running a crowd sourcing campaign through April 25th to help raise the remaining funds to finish restoring The Mill into a museum. The group has also set up online donations and memberships on their website. More information can be found at savethemill.org. Call 217-735-0294 for vendor info and spots.

Share this

Got Content?


EditorWe welcome your Route 66 news, stories, photos and events for publication in our newsletter or on our web site!

Submit it here

Send us your change of address to:
Membership
110 W Howard St
Pontiac, IL, 61764
or use our handy contact form

Learning to use our calendar puts the fun and adventure of Route 66 at your fingertips. It's easy to discover the when, what and where of events along the road.

Here's How!

Historic Maps

Highway GuideWatch Route 66 evolve into The Mother Road  with maps and highway guides from 1917-1992 courtesty of the official Illinois Digital Archives.